Champion Wolsey’ owner F G Banbury who bred ch Cardinal
Banbury, Frederick George , first Baron Banbury of Southam [1850-1936] , politician , was born in London , 2 December 1850 , the eldest son of Frederick Banbury , of Shirley House - Surrey , by his wife , Cecilia Laura , daughter of William Cox , of Woodford Hall , near Epping Forest .
He bred in '75 a litter out of Juno (Turk x Lucas' Juno) sired by the brindle ch Wolsey which gave a/o Princess KCSB 6398 who got a 2nd prize at Birmingham '76 and a year later , mated to Edwin Nichols' huge sized ch Turk' son Big Ben , she produced WK Taunton' ch Cardinal and Red , a female who got a 1st prize in puppy class at Alexandra Palace '77 for her owner Edwin Nichols but she remained without any KCSB registered progeny.
Big Ben wasn't shown due to lameness but his brother Punch became a champion and sired a/o Winchester Clowes' Saxon who in a Stock-Keeper Gazette dd June '74 was considered as 'the best Mastiff in the show' at Crystal Palace '74 , better than ch's Turk , Green' Monarch & Briton . Quote - ' We spotted him directly he entered the ring , and so amazed were we at his not receiving the first prize that we afterwards took stock of him very carefully . He is nearly , if not quite , as large as ch Monarch , with a better head , finer ears , more bone , with a coat of a blood-horse , and in the very pink of condition ; we canvassed the opinions of several of the leading fanciers , who all agreed that he is a perfect wonder and as he is only two years of age , there is no telling to what scale of grandeur he is going to expand .'
By the way , this Saxon got afterwards only a 1st prize at the Alexandra Palace '75 and a 4th at Crystal Palace '76 .
Antique engraved print [published from 'Views of Seats' written by & drawn by John Preston Neale] of Shirley House located at Coombe [not far from central Croydon] , a place unusual in this part of South London as it had barely been urbanised and has retained its collection of large houses fairly intact located between the green spaces of Shirley [Addington] Hills , Lloyd Park , Ballards and Coombe Wood . There was an estate at Coombe as far back as 1221 , recorded as being held by Richard of Coombe . In the 17th Century , it was owned by the brothers of William Harvey , who first described the circulation of blood . William Harvey stayed at the house frequently and had caves made in the grounds in order meditate in the dark . A 145ft deep well in the grounds of the house was said to be used by Pilgrims to Canterbury on their journey to join the Pilgrims' Way , having come via the Archbishop' Croydon Palace . It was bought in the 1890s by Frank Lloyd , a newspaper magnate . His father Edward Lloyd founded the Lloyd News , later known as The Sunday News & also the Daily Chronicle . He lived in Coombe House for thirty five years until his death in 1927. Neighbouring Lloyd Park , created from land bequeathed by Lloyd , is named after him . Coombe Farm is a large farmhouse off Oaks Road , reached down Oaks Lane which was the former main road , closed by John Maberly of ‘Shirley House’ in 1803 to increase his privacy . The building probably dates from the 16th century, with 19th century . In 1893 , another brother of Frank Lloyd , Herbert , built a much larger new building with mock-Tudor features beside the original building .
Frederick Gerorge Banbury was educated at Winchester and afterwards abroad . In 1872 he was elected a member of the Stock Exchange and was head of the firm of Frederick Banbury & Sons , stockbrokers , from 1879 until his retirement in 1906 . At the general election of 1892 he entered the House of Commons as conservative member for the Peckham division of Camberwell and retained that seat until the liberal triumph of 1906 ~ within six months of his defeat he was returned at a by-election for the City of London and retained his seat until he entered the House of Lords in January 1924 as Baron Banbury of Southam in Warwickshire .
In 1903 he was created a baronet and was sworn of the Privy Council in 1916 . Although Banbury never held office, he made for himself a unique position as an opponent of legislation which appeared to him unnecessary and of change which he did not regard as progress . This was facilitated by his ability to talk at any length at any moment on any subject . He declared that in his opinion there was too much legislation and he generally opposed bills proposed by private members .
His long experience in the City made him an able critic of finance bills , on which he was an undoubted authority , and he also did much useful work for the Public Accounts Committee by carefully scrutinizing estimates . He was a member of the Select Committee on National Expenditure.
He earned esteem by his technical knowledge , and his criticism of his own party was seldom resented . A master of House of Commons procedure , he was dexterous in raising points of order . Punctual in his attendance , he came to be regarded in his corner of a back bench as the uncompromising champion of the old order . — He was always most carefully dressed , and with his formal frock-coat and tall hat , and his slow dignified carriage he would walk to his seat and look round at the increasingly slipshod attire of his colleagues with sad disapproval . The advent of women members into the House he regarded as nothing short of an outrage . Banbury, in fact , became an institution .
FG Banbury was for many years a member , and sometime chairman , of the council of the RSPCA [Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals] founded by a group of twenty-two reformers led by Richard Martin MP [who would thereby earn the nickname Humanity Dick] , William Wilberforce MP & the Reverend Arthur Broome , originally as a society to support the working of Richard Martin' Act which had been passed in Parliament on 22 July 1822 and was against cruelty to farm animals , particularly cattle . The group assembled at the ‘Old Slaughters’ Coffee House in London to create a society with the will and authority to enforce the new law; the SPCA , the first animal welfare society in any country was thus born and was granted its royal status by Queen Victoria in 1840 .
FG Banbury was also for some time a director and chairman of the Great Northern Railway , and a director of the London and Provincial Bank . He married in 1873 Elizabeth Rosa [died 1930] , daughter and co-heir of Thomas Barbot Beale , of Brettenham Park , Suffolk , and had one son , who was killed in action in 1914 , and one daughter . In 1902 he bought Warneford Place [Highworth’ Sevenhampton , Wiltshire] from the Warneford family who were the XIXth c leading family of the district ; FG Banbury died there on 13 August 1936 ; there is a portrait of Banbury , by John Collier , in the board-room of the old London & North Eastern Railway Company [source ~ The Times , 14 August 1936] . Warneford Place included a/o a ‘fish pond’ and a ‘Dogkennel Copse’ .
Later on Ian Fleming [of James Bond fame] bought the demolished Warneford Place . Note ~ Another Highworth’ resident was of course champion Wolsey’ breeder Edgar Hanbury of Eastrop Grange , only one mile away from Warneford Place .
John Kenyon of Rossendale brewery & ch Cardinal' son Rossendale Baron
John Kenyon started work in the offices of Grimshaw' Brewery – Burnley , and began to build the Rossendale Brewery in 1867 which opened two years later , and registered in ‘96 . The Brewery stood near to the Union Gas Works and almost opposite the Ashworth Arms at Cloughfold near Manchester , behind the terraced row that included the Shakespeare Inn ; the company' major acquisition was the Edenfield Brewery Co Ltd bought during World War I which substantially increased its pub estate .
John Kenyon lived in 1879 at Shakespeare House , Bacup Road , Cloughfold (nr Manchester) , and later moved to Brynbella House , Haslingden Road - Rawtenstall nr Rochdale . The brewery was bought by Massey's in Dec 1928 , at which time the Kenyons owned almost eighty of the local pubs . There's a lot more info in Malcolm Starkie' book on Mineral Water Manufacturers .
His 1st KCSB entry was Connaught Duchess b Feb '79 bred by himself out of Albani (ch Rajah ex Lion' Princess) sired by quality stud ch Colonel owned by the Iron monger Richard Alston . Connaught Duchess was purchased by H Hunt of Holly Bank Rawtenstall and got in '80 a 1st prize at Manchester & a 2nd at Farnworth before she became owned by Richard Alston for whom she won several prizes in '81 , ie Alexandra Palace 2nd , Birmingham 3rd , Leicester 1st & Macclesfield 3rd and in '83 Sheffield 2nd & York 3rd .
One of his beer clients was perhaps Mr Wm Waddington of the ‘Black Bull’ Hotel at Haslingden (3 mls from Cloughfold) who owned Rossendale Baron b July 1882 & bred by Mr John Kenyon out of Rossendale Baroness (ch Charles H Mason’ ch Salisbury x ch Rajah’ daughter Albani) sired by WK Taunton’ brindle ch Cardinal , so seemingly a well-bred specimen .
Baron’ dam Rossendale Baroness was also bred by John Kenyon and was purchased by Grimshaw who bred a litter from her dd Aug '84 sired by Exeter Beaumanoir' Gelert , ch Cardinal' grandson , resulting in Edinburgh Duke who sired a/o Captain Marryatt who on his turn sired Duke of Fife , the latter grandsire to that famous ch Hazlemere Ronald bred & owned by Robert Leadbetter .
Rossendale Baron is mentioned in the KCSB for the show year 1885 when he got 1st prizes at Liverpool beating Mr ED Tyrer’ Surajah , at Birkenhead beating Dr CA Lougest’ Imperial Chancellor , 2nd at Farnworth beaten by ch His Majesty King Canute’ son Clement & a 3rd prize at West Bromwich while the next year he also got 3rd prizes at Stalybridge & Birkenhead . Rossendale Baron sired a litter out of Princess resulting in Vera who produced Cecilia , dam to Dr Charles A Lougest’ Star by ch Albert Victor .