Mark Beaufoy

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy - MP (Member of Parliament)

 

Kennel Gazette April 1886 ~ Kennels of the day No 1 Mark Beaufoy -

 

'We have thought that it might not be uninteresting to give from time to time, as space and pressure of copy will permit , sketches of our leading exhibitors and their kennels . Some trifling but pleasant business having taken us to the south side if the river, we seized the opportunity of putting into execution what we thought would prove of interest and after a short drive through the winding South Lambeth road we found ourselves at the gate of Mr Mark H. Beaufoy with the intention of visiting his kennels .

 

That we were received with the most cordial welcome will not surprise any of those who are acquainted with Mr Beaufoy; and we were soon discussing his experiences as a breeder and an exhibitor of man's best and truest friend. We must say that our visit has taught us a lesson of which we were in need personally and we make bold to say , many young exhibitors would do well to 'make a note of this '. We refer to the unswerving perseverance with which Mr Beaufoy has followed his ' hobby ' , shall I call it ? No , I will say his great liking for our noble friend , the dog .

 

Despite the most heartrending disappointments , dogs and bitches dying almost as soon as purchased , litter after litter being swept away by that arch fiend distemper or by the no less destructive round worm - still Mr Beaufoy kept replenishing his kennel , replacing by a better one the one that that just been taken away .

 

If Mr Beaufoy cannot lay claim to being one of the oldest exhibitors and I rather think him fortunate in not being able to make such a claim good , he can boast of one of the brightest careers as an exhibitor ; many of his dogs having taken the very highest honours and some having a perfect right to look upon themselves as pillars of the Stud Book .

 

It is as an exhibitor of Mastiffs and Bloodhounds , that Mr Beaufoy has and in fact is leaving his mark in the dog world , as in both breeds he has been and is the happy possessor of nearly , if not absolutely the best in each breed . We would have our readers remark how carefully we say nearly, and do not say absolutely as we well know that every breeder breeds the absolute best , and every exhibitor exhibits the very non such .It was in September 1875 that Mr Beaufoy made his first purchase with the intention of becoming a breeder and exhibitor , and to those of our readers who are well acquainted with the Mastiff breed , it will be somewhat amusing to see that Mr Beaufoy's beginning was with a bitch from Mr Kingdon's kennels , the man of all men who has the greatest antipathy to a Bulldog type in the Mastiff . However Beauty soon died of distemper , and with this first purchase ended Mr Beaufoy's connection with Mr Kingdon's Kennel .

 

In the following month he bought a brother to the Mastiff bitch Corisande , bred by the Rev. W.J. Mellor and was called Talisman , by Turk, Mr Beaufoy tasted the first sweetness of prize winning , Talisman being the recipient of the third prize at Maidstone .

 

In March 1876 , Mr Beaufoy made one of his most fortunate purchases in buying from Mr Nichols the Mastiff bitch Belle , supposed to be in whelp to Mr Hanbury's Prince . The bitch in due time whelped , and in that litter was the celebrated Beau . It may be amiss here to say in order to illustrate the vagaries of breeding , that although Belle was in succession put to champion dogs as Green's Monarch , The Shah and Rajah , yet she failed to produce anything which could lay claim to more as mediocrity .

 

Belle was rather a coarse bitch, so that her mating with Monarch without success may not be astonishing ; but both The Shah and Rajah were well selected mates for her , and some other Beau might with some reason have been expected from such union .

 

As an exhibitor of Mastiffs , Mr Beaufoy's name is well known as the breeder and exhibitor of Beau , whose career on the bench has been very successful, although he came when stars of the first magnitude where still on the horizon .

 

His first success of importance was when he received the cup of the Old English Mastiff Club at the Bristol show in 1777 , Mr MB Wynn judging . In January 1878 , at the Crystal Palace the Rev. Hodgkin passed him over being undershot , but in July following he easily took first position , beating Benmore and Stanley and at Oswestry he divided first with Colonel , who at Bristol had beaten him for second place.

 

In the following December he made his appearance at Birmingham , when he secured first , and the next year received his champion first , doing the same and extra cup in 1880 for best Mastiff in the Birmingham show . He was however beaten in 1878 and 1879 by Rajah and The Emperor, defeats that do not reduce his honours , as both dogs were excellent specimens of their kind . In 1883 he was beaten at Aston by his kennel companion Pontiff , but won the stud medal of the British Kennel Association with the help of King Canute and Cambrian Princess , two most typical Mastiffs showing much of Beau's quality and very few of his faults . Beau was found dead in his box on the 12th of November 1884 , and his death was proved to be a very great loss to his owner .

Beau was found dead in his box on the 12th of November 1884 , and his death was proved to be a very great loss to his owner . He was the sire of Ilford Baroness out of Sylvia III , a bitch which afterwards became the property of Mr Beaufoy in July 1879 , and died two years after without having reared a single puppy . Beau was also the sire of King Canute and Cambrian Princess ; of Boatswain out of Princess Royal , a sis to Crown Prince ; of Beaufort out of Lady Isabel . It may be said of Beau that , although dead , he still survives in a progeny full of his qualities . Nero , by Monarch - Grace , bred by the Rev. Bulkley Jones , was bought in January 1878 when about three years old , and was then , bar his sire , the largest Mastiff in England . His show career was very successful , winning about ten prizes , including first at Birmingham , Alexandra Palace , Darlington twice and a champion at the Crystal Palace. His best sons and daughters are Olga , out of Creole , and Hutchings' Nestor .

 

At left - Champion Coombe Baroness born 1889 , iow three years after this article was published in the Kennel Gazette . This Baroness was bred by Mark Beaufoy, ie sired by TW Allen’ ch Montgomery (CP' son) out of ch Hotspur' Coombe Daphne , the latter being sired by ch Wolsey’ nephew Turco out of Edgar Hanbury’ Eastrop Daphne , a Dido’ daughter .

'Prince Regent, a litter brother to Crown Prince , Mr Beaufoy bought in January 1881 , but has the misfortune to lose him by diphtheria in June 1884 , when the dog was just in his prime ; but during his , alas too short career he won three first and cups , one second to Pontiff , and a champion at the Crystal Palace ; all these successes were achieved at Birmingham and at the Kennel Club Shows . Prince of Wales and Princess Rita are the best of his get .

 

Pontiff was bought in December 1881 , from Mr Hanbury , and still adorns the kennels of the South Lambeth road , and is the winner of three first prizes and three champions in the years 1881 , 1883 and 1884 . Pontiff is considered by many as the most typical Mastiff Mr Beaufoy has had , having fewer faults than many if he had not their excellence in a few points . Unfortunately he is a difficult stock-getter , and has left no trace at stud . Among the lesser stars of Mr Beaufoy's kennels are Caesar , Boatswain, Spartacus and Prussian Prince . But we must not omit the recent purchase of King Canute, who came to take place of his defunct sire and who ought to prove , if only at the stud a very useful acquisition , although he secured for his owner at the last Crystal Palace Show the Challenge Prize and the Challenge Cup of the O.E.M.C.

 

Mr Beaufoy was at one time the happy owner of Princess Royal , with whom he won first at Birmingham and first Alexandra Palace ; but through being tempted by the almighty dollar , he committed the mistake of letting her go to America .

 

With Mastiff bitches , as with Bloodhound bitches , Mr Beaufoy has had the most heartbreaking bad luck , at one time or other having purchased Duchess , Corisande ( the dam of Corisande ) , Herpa ( the dam of Caesar ) , without getting anything out of them .Mr Beaufoy has now in his kennels about twenty dogs, bitches , and puppies , besides some running in the country . The kennels are situated at the end of the yard and separated from the works by an iron railing . The approach of the buildings is through an avenue with threes and shrubbery's on each side and to the right of the avenue is a running yard of nearly an acre in extent.

 

Just before you reach the kennels one is admitted into the hospital , a roomy three stall stable , warm but well ventilated where dogs can be isolated . When one reaches the end of the shrubbery walk one finds oneself in the puppy yard enclosed by iron railings and flagged that no undue moisture may hurt the young ones . Five roomy boxes in bricks with a shed enclosed in front , resting on a lean-to wall , receive from time to time the mothers as their time approaches . The place may be cold in winter but the ventilation is perfect and the progeny can always retire to the bed room , which is well sheltered and free from draughts . We saw six Bloodhound puppies by Nestor out of Gaiety II by Bran IX . Further on there is a circular room for older puppies ; the floor is boarded and we fear that soon the wood will be saturated by the urine and the room will be unhealthy .

 

In a building 60 ft. by 15 ft. , divided into two parts by sliding doors are found the kennels for matrons and stud dogs . The sliding doors , when closed , avoid all chances of accidents through dogs getting loose at night and paying unlooked-for visits to their paramours . In the first part are four closed boxes and four cages , in which are present three Mastiff bitches - viz. , Eastrop Daphne , one of Mr Hanbury's breed , by Turco ex Dido ; Coombe Venus by Pontiff ex Princess Royal ; Jean bred by Malcolm Bush Wynn ; and three Bloodhound bitches . The second portion of the building contains five loose boxes , very roomy and well ventilated which are now tenanted by King Canute , Prussian Prince , Spartacus and Pontiff , and last but not least , the grand Bloodhound Nestor . We remarked that the whole place was remarkably free from any smell and the dogs were quite free from any skin ailments ; the condition of all testifying highly in favour of the care and attention of the keeper .

 

Mr Beaufoy feeds mostly on Clarke's biscuits, mixed with broth and horseflesh and paunches . Horseflesh has only been tried lately , is given boiled by steam , brought into the dog's kitchen from the boiler of the works , and at present seems to answer better than paunches .If we cannot say that every dog in the kennel is perfection, we can affirm that there are fewer weeds than we expected to find in a kennel of such large proportion .'

The Kennel Gazette [March 1890] mentioned the OEMC report of 1889 ; 13 judges were elected for 1890 under whom Mr Beaufoy , MP [Member of Parliament] 87 , South Lambeth road London SW, only one mile away from the Houses of Parliament . He has owned six Mastiff champions ~ Nero b 1875 , Beau b 1876 , Pontiff b 1879 , Prince Regent b 1880 , HM King Canute b 1882 & Coombe Baroness b 1889 ; as already stated , only the latter was own bred by Mr Beaufoy , being sired by Mr TW Allen' champion Montgomery , a Crown Prince' son . Mark Beaufoy was extremely successful at the 1880ties major shows . Mark H Beaufoy won ch certificates at Crystal Palace with Beau [1880] , Nero[1881] , Prince Regent [1883] & King Canute [1886] . At Curzon Hall Birmingham he got the awards with Beau [1880], Nero & Princess Royal [1881] and His Majesty King Canute [1886].

Interesting to know is that according to the KC article Mr Mark Beaufoy’ champion Nero was claimed [January 1878] to be the largest Mastiff in England [185 lb] , bar his sire Green’ ch Monarch . This Green’ ch Monarch sired also Scawfell , bred by J Hartley of Windermere in 1874 and according to Sam Crabtree ~ ‘A great-headed dog with tremendous bone and body ; I have seen him turn the scale at 211 lb . Unfortunately , he was always a bad mover , being cow-hocked and weak in the hindquarters .’ Scawfell was owned by JW Hill FRCVS of Compton nr Wolverhampton , the author of a/o ’The Management and Diseases of the Dog’ [ed. 1878] , illustrated by John Woodroffe who decorated the cover cloth with Scawfell’ head study .

 

Privy matters

 

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy [1854 – 1922] , the Mastiff & Bloodhound breeder , was the son of a retired Captain of the Royal Navy and inheritor of a large vinegar factory ; the Kent’s Directory already mentioned in 1794 the existence of Beaufoy & Biddle , Vinegar Merchants , Cuper’s Bridge , Lambeth which was co-founded by Mark H. Beaufoy’ grandfather , Colonel Mark Beaufoy FRS , who had the honour of being the first Englishmen to ascend Mont Blanc [ 1787 ] . Henry Benjamin Hanbury Beaufoy , inheritor of Beaufoy’s Vinegar Works , who died in 1851 was succeeded by his younger brother George [ 1796-1864 ] who left the business in trust for his ten-year old son Mark Hanbury Beaufoy .

 

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy was educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge , married Mildred Tait and had four children : Hilda , Henry Mark , Maurice & Robert . He was elected as Member of Parliament for Kennington from 1889 to 1895 and was one of the benefactors of Vauxhall Park , situated north of his Beaufoy’s Vinegar Works at South Lambeth . In 1900 he became the High Sheriff for Wiltshire [the Sovereign's representative in the county for all matters relating to the judiciary and the maintenance of law and order] and lived at Coombe House , near Shaftesbury , which he built about 1887 . He is the author of some doggerel verses on shooting, which seem to have reached every corner of the English speaking world, and were written for his eldest son , Henry Mark , when he first started to shoot .

 

The Beaufoy vinegar yard at South Lambeth has been described as follows : ‘ Two small lodge houses stood at the end of a tree-shaded drive, one still remains bearing the Beaufoy arms above the loggia, the top of which is appropriately decorated with grapes. The functional aspect of the vathouse which was the chief building in the yard, is concealed by a handsome façade .’

 

As a Member of Parliament for Kennington Mark Hanbury Beaufoy supported not only the reduction of the working day but also the introduction of the eight-hour day; he quickly introduced the latter into his own works . In 1881 he chaired a meeting in his home at which the Waifs and Strays Home was started - today's Church of England Children's Society. The moving force was Edward de Rudolph, the Sunday School Superintendent at St Anne's.

 

The aim of the meeting was 'to rescue and care for children who are orphaned, homeless, cruelly treated or in moral danger, and to relieve overburdened homes' . The first home was opened at 8 Stamford Villas, Dulwich, and the Archbishop of Canterbury was the first President. In the first ten years of the venture, 2,943 waifs and strays had homes found for them.

 

The Beaufoy family energy was not only directed to the distilling of vinegar . In 1800 Henry [Mark Hanbury Beaufoy’ grand-uncle] wrote ~ ‘ Scoloppetaria , or Considerations on the Nature and Use of Rifled Barrel Guns . Forming the Basis of a Permanent Defense Agreeable to the Genius of the Country ‘ . The Gentleman's Magazine considered following ~ ' This valuable acquisition to the Military Library is highly creditable to his talents as a scholar and a soldier ' . His knowledge of ballistics and his observations during an ariel voyage in a balloon secured his election to the Royal Society in 1811 .

These fine views show the Beaufoy’s Vinegar Works , established in the eighteenth century on the former site of Cuper’s Pleasure Gardens just south of Waterloo bridge . In 1810 this factory moved to a new Works in South Lambeth .

 

Mark Hanbury Beaufoy was one of the founders of the Old English Mastiff Club in 1883 alike a/o Walter Kelsey Taunton who, according to the London Post Office Directory , was described as bottle manufacturer. So it could be possible that they not only maintained contacts on behalf the Mastiff breed but they also were involvedinto similar business affairs . In 1886 MH Beaufoy tried to emerge an Association of Bloodhound breeders but did not attract sufficient support ; it was only in 1897 that Edgar Farman [ the author of the Bulldog - Monograph] could found this Association .

 

The family traced its descent from the Norman Conquest and became established at Evesham , where an earlier John Beaufoy had been a maltster . Mark Beaufoy , a Quaker , went to Holland early in his career to study continental methods of brewing vinegar . It is said that he rejected the distilling of gin after seeing Hogarth's picture of Gin Lane . One gin recipe of the period was as follows : Oil of vitriol (sulphuric acid) , Oil of almonds , Oil of turpentine , Spirits of wine , Lump sugar , Lime water , Rose water , Alum & Salt of Tartar .

 

It is estimated that approximately five million gallons of gin made from recipes similar to the above were consumed in 1735 . The first Beaufoy to enter distilling was Mark [ Mark Hanbury Beaufoy’ great grandfather ] , who in 1730 had been apprenticed to Joseph James , a distiller in Bristol . By 1741 , he was taken into partnership and the company was known as Beaufoy, James and Co. In 1743 Mark married Elizabeth Hanbury , and three years later they settled at Cupers Gardens . The earliest surviving document shows that in 1747 the plant held 30,000 gallons of vinegar , valued at 5d a gallon .

 

In 1756 Mark acquired the Navy Contract in the face of considerable competition and vested interests; with this contract , Mark provided 'ship's stores with a fumigator, an antiseptic and preservative'. In addition, from 1761, the company became concerned with the production of ‘sweets’, which is the original term for British wines, and the Beaufoys were among the foremost producers . When Mark died , John Hanbury Beaufoy took over . In 1812 , he moved his vinegar brewery from Cupers Gardens to South Lambeth . The Cupers site was needed for the new strand bridge , which was later called Waterloo Bridge , and Beaufoy was well compensated for the inconvenience of moving . In 1820 John Hanbury Beaufoy had full control of the company . He died in 1826 and left the business to his nephew, Henry Benjamin Beaufoy ; Henry also collected books , among which was a first folio Shakespeare .

 

A Father’s Advice , written by Mark Hanbury Beaufoy for his eldest son Henry Mark .

 

~ 'If a sportsman true you’d be , Listen carefully to me . Never , never let your gun Pointed be at anyone ; That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me . When a hedge or fence you cross , Though of time it cause a loss , From your gun the cartridge take . For the greater safety sake . If ‘twixt you and neighbouring gun Bird may fly or beast may run , Let this maxim e’er be thine : ‘ Follow not across the line . ’ Stops and beaters , oft unseen , Lurk behind some leafy screen ; Calm and steady always be ; ‘Never shoot where you can’t see ’ Keep your place and silent be ; Game can hear and game can see; Don’t be greedy , better spared . Is a pheasant than one shared . You may kill or you may miss ,But at all times think of this ~ ‘All the pheasants ever bred , Won’t repay for one man dead ’.

At left ~ An interior view of the Beaufoy’Vinegar Works at South Lambeth [ note ~ on 10 May 1941 a bomb destroyed the Works , the principal living rooms and the splendour of the family library while in this raid , George Maurice , the last of the Beaufoys to manage the concern , was killed ] ; at right ~ Vauxhall Gardens . It was opened in June 1732 [with a Ridotto al fresco] and closed in 1859 . It outlasted all its rivals [ best known is Ranelagh's , 1742 – 1803 , which was famous for its masquerades] . Originally it had been a plantation with walks and arbours, called Spring Gardens . In the mid-eighteenth century there were created new walks and famous effects like the cascade, which was activated each evening at 9 o'clock , arcades and supper alcoves , a Rotunda and an orchestra and organ . After 1745 one could listen to vocal contributions and since 1798 there were firework displays . The thinness of the ham was proverbial ; slices were as thin as muslin . In 1825 the magistrate ordered the illumination of the unlighted walks. Till about 1750 most visitors arrived by water with boats from Westminster or Whitehall stairs . After the building of the new Westminster Bridge Vauxhall could be reached by road but it was nevertheless a hazardous land journey because of footpads, highway-men and the traffic-jam on popular nights .

 

Note - Coombe House at Shaftesbury , Dorset , was built by Mark Hanbury Beaufoy in 1887 . During the Second War known as a ‘Flak Shack ‘ by the 8th Air Force crews . A pleasant place for many air crews who were sent for relaxation and recreation following the rigours of flying many combat missions . It catered for up to 50 officers and provided a welcome break for many 467th personnel .

The Jack the Ripper case was an overwhelming feature in daily London life as besides Dr Lyttleton Forbes Winslow also Mark Beaufoy was mentioned by the London papers . An extract from the Pall Mall Gazette - 03 october 1888 -

 

' The question at once arises as to how the services of bloodhounds can be secured as speedily as possible after a crime is discovered. In such a matter as this, time is all important, for though we should not despair of following a trail some hours after it was made, and it had been traversed by hundreds of other trails, yet the fresher it is, the more certain to succeed. It would be inadvisable for the police to keep the dogs themselves, for as soon as the present scare has passed away the animals would probably be neglected. But at once a register of all bloodhounds could be made, and an arrangement come to with the owners, so that they could be at the disposal of the police whenever required. A small subsidy would be money well spent. At the present time there are kennels of bloodhounds at the South Lambeth-road, in Kensington, at Dulwich, Putney, Regent's Park, and, we believe, in the E.C. district. On Sunday morning any of these could have been secured in a couple of hours at most, and there is every probability that if such had been done the culprit or culprits might have been safely in Newgate ere London had known one word of this its latest horror. Surely the thing is worth a trial, and we doubt not Mr. Mark Beaufoy, of Lambeth, or Mr. E. Nichols, of Kensington, or, in fact, any bloodhound owner, would place their dogs at the disposal of the police authorities under proper conditions. Steps should be taken at once in this direction. It will be of comparatively little use acting after the murder is committed--we mean the making of arrangements should not be left until then, but the owners of dogs should be seen and a list of those available hung in every police-station, with directions as to how they can be most speedily secured. If bloodhounds could be employed to hunt escaped slaves and law-made criminals, surely there need be no compunction as to their use for brutal murderers .'