Reverend Bulkeley Owen Jones [1824-1914] of The Cloisters [annex St Peter’church] at Ruthin , bred in 1871 a litter from Nell sired by Thomas VH Lukey’ ch Beauty’ brother Baron [ch King x Governor’ daughter Treasure] ; their daughter Ino was purchased by Mr Balleston of East Sheen whom mated her to Hanbury’ ch Rajah producing ch The Shah . Ino’ sis Grace , owned by the Welsh Reverend himself , whelped in 1875 two litters sired by Octavius Green’ champion Monarch which contained a/o WK Taunton’ ch Gwendolen [ch Griselda’ dam] and Mark Beaufoy’ champion Nero . Another litter in 1875 sired by Green’ ch Monarch was out of the Reverend’ Mona which gave Hero , owned by C J Holliday of Alderley Edge, Cheshire , who also owned Nero before he was purchased by the London’ Mastiff breeder Mark Hanbury Beaufoy of Upper Lambeth .
The Reverend owned also other following bitches ~ Hannah KCSB 5329 , born 1871 & bred by Lythall out of Miss Aglionby’ Wolf’ daughter Nancy sired by ch Turk’ son Paris ~ Brenda KCSB 5318 , born 1872 and bred by Miss Aglionby out of ch Lyme Hall Sultan’ daughter Martorell’ Empress sired by ch Turk’ brother Wolf ~ Clytie, born 1875 and bred by C T Harris out of ch Crown Prince’ granddam Rhoda sired by ch Turk’ brother ch Argus .
Bulkeley Owen Jones of The Cloisters Ruthin was born at Pott Shrigley , only several miles south of Lyme Hall ; he married Fanny Bulkeley , b 1827 at Bicester , Oxfordshire , at Bangor [Anglesey] and their daughter married Fleming Brisco , son of Sir Robert Brisco , baronet of Crotton Hall ; Bulkeley O Jones died nearby the Welsh west coast at Conway , Denbighshire and maybe he was a relative of Reverend Owen Jones [1806-1889] , a well-known Calvinist Methodist Minister .
Notable people native to Ruthin include Dr Gabriel Goodman , Dean of Westminster during Elizabeth I' reign and chaplain to her ‘Prime Minister’ William Cecil . A great benefactor to his home town , he founded both a grammar school and a hospital in the ‘close’ behind the church . Goodman also helped finance the Welsh translation of the Bible . There's a memorial to him in the 13th Century St Peter' Church , where the ‘warden’ in the mid-19th Century was Canon Bulkeley Owen Jones, on whom ‘Slogger Williams’ in Thomas Hughes' novel Tom Brown' Schooldays is based or so it's said .
An excerpt ~ ‘Now, as luck would have it , there sat next above Tom on that day , in the middle bench of the form , a big boy , by name Williams , generally supposed to be the cock of the shell , therefore of all the school below the fifths . The small boys , who are great speculators on the prowess of their elders , used to hold forth to one another about Williams' great strength , and to discuss whether East or Brown would take a licking from him . He was called Slogger Williams , from the force with which it was supposed he could hit . In the main , he was a rough , goodnatured fellow enough , but very much alive to his own dignity . He reckoned himself the king of the form , and kept up his position with the strong hand , especially in the matter of forcing boys not to construe more than the legitimate forty lines . He had already grunted and grumbled to himself when Arthur went on reading beyond the forty lines ; but now that he had broken down just in the middle of all the long words , the Slogger' wrath was fairly roused .’ In 1901 a booklet on the jubilee of Rev Chancellor Bulkeley O Jones , Warden of St Peter Church - Ruthin , was published .
St Peter’s Church was founded by John de Grey in 1310 as a ‘collegiate’ church which is to say a church staffed by a community [Latin ‘collegium’] of priests . It has been much altered since then , particularly by a Victorian restoration in 1854 – 9, when its ‘trademark’ spire – the only spire in the Vale of Clwyd – was also added . Within, the most immediately striking feature of St Peter’s is that it is ‘double-naved’, consisting of two rectangles of equal length, built side by side and divided by a row of pillars . Both naves have magnificent timber roofs , added in the early Tudor period . The northern nave roof is particularly elaborate , with decorated beams and over 400 panels carved with an immense variety of devices , flowers , badges and heraldry of baronial families .
Octavius Green , breeder of ch Monarch who sired Beaufoy' ch Nero & WK Taunton' Gwendolen
The KCSB 1874 mentionOctavius Green' address as being ‘Boyne House’ Notting Hill London (birth place of his father Philip James) together with ch Monarch' wins in 1873 , a/o 1st prize at Crystal Palace ; next year he got 2nd at Northampton , 1st & cup for best Mastiff of all classes at Crystal Palace , 1st champion class at Manchester whereas in 1875 he repeated his Crystal Palace win under the same judge , ie the Reverend Thomas Pearce aka Idstone . Ch Monarch' maternal granddam Marguerite being sis to Miss Aglionby' ch Empress (pic at Aglionby page) .
Octavius Green , son to Philip James Green , Esq - b 1797 London at Boyne House Uxbridge Road Kensington , a merchant and Consul-General for Morea , the Peloponnese peninsula in southern Greece , residing there with his Grecian wife at Zante (see pic above) where Octavius was born in 1823 . His father Philip died on the 10th day of January 1861 and the Green family went back to Britain .
The Congress of Vienna (1815) agreed to place the Ionian Islands under the exclusive ‘amical protection’ of the United Kingdom . Despite British military administration , the Austrian Empire was guaranteed commercial status equal to the UK . The arrangement was solidifed with the ratification of the ‘Maitland constitution’ on 26 August 1817 , which created a federation of the seven islands with Sir Thomas Maitland its first ‘Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands’ . Octavius Green married his wife born in Greece , but re-married Mary Ellen and is stated as a trustee dd 1843 , residing at East India House London .
East India House (hereabove) in Leadenhall Street in the City of London in England was the headquarters of the British East India Company . It was built on the foundations of the Elizabethan mansion Craven House , the London residence of Sir William Craven , Lord Mayor of London , to designs by the merchant and amateur architect Theodore Jacobsen and completed in 1729 . Much of British India was governed from here until the British government took control of the Company's possessions in India on November 1, 1858 .
The exterior as Jacobsen originally designed it is known from a detailed wash drawing by Samuel Wale , ca 1760 . Its five-bays were three storeys high , with an attic storey disguised behind the cornice balustrade . A giant order of Doric pilasters under an academically correct frieze of triglyphs demonstrated the East India Company's soundness and seriousness of purpose: the Directors' ‘aim was resolutely down to earth— to inspire confidence and impress the shareholders.’
The structure was unexpectedly deep , affording large meeting rooms and Directors' offices , as well as a hall, a courtyard and a garden , all of which could serve for receptions. The Directors' Court Room featured a marble chimneypiece with bearded term figures that supported the mantel shelf and an overmantel bas-relief panel , Britannia Receiving the Riches of the East , under a pediment, the work of M Rysbrack (1728–30). In the Directors' Court Room , six canvases by George Lambert appropriately illustrated the East India Company' main ’factories’ - St Helena , Cape Town , Fort William , Calcutta , Bombay , Tellicherry & Madras , the latter also birth place of OEMC pillar Reverend William James Mellor .With the growth of the East India Company , additional space was required, and adjoining structures to either side were purchased and pulled down ; East India House was extended and refaced to designs commissioned from Henry Holland , though the Company' Surveyor architect Richard Jupp , insisted in overseeing construction.
Work began in 1796 . The Company' museum was housed in one extension , the library in the other . The building was put up for sale in 1868 and demolished in 1869 .
In 1891 Octavius Green was stated as the ‘lawful attorney’ (157 Ramsden Road Balham) of Dame Mary Green , the widow of Sir William Kirby Green , late of Tangier , Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael & St George , and who was a member of one of the oldest hereditary Consular families of the Levant . See above at left - Sir Willam Kirby Green greeting the Sultan of Morocco .